Thursday 9 October 2014

Wrexham AFC Anniversary - 150 Not Out

Wrexham Football Club is 150 years old this year and although celebrations would ideally continue until next spring, culminating in promotion back to the Football League, in the short term, October 11th 2014 is the focal point with what is billed as the Anniversary Match against Grimsby Town FC. Provided I can still get a ticket on Friday afternoon, I will be there (travelling from Newark on Trent) to make sure I am part of the historic occasion.

I am not the most religious of followers – there are those that simply don’t miss a match, ever – so I can’t and won’t claim to be in their league but I do love Wrexham FC! I have witnessed promotions, relegations, incredible cup ties (ones that have gone well for the Dragons and those that have not), I have seen the team play at famous stadiums like Wembley (twice), Old Trafford, Goodison Park and I have seen them play at Runcorn. I have also seen the club on the brink of extinction and in this modern era of football, where the game (especially at the top level) is more of a business than a sport – it is nothing short of a miracle (and some amazing supporters) that the club has survived to reach this incredible milestone.

I am really looking forward to an afternoon at the Racecourse Ground, especially such a significant one. I am sure fans of other teams would say the same about their own stadiums, but there really is no place like the Racecourse! It’s a million miles from being a state of the art stadium, where even the newest Mold Road stand is beginning to show its age a little (leaky roof anyone?) but it just feels like my football home. It can generate a pretty awesome atmosphere too – even with only a few thousand in the ground and one end completely empty but I remember the days of a full Kop (I also remember standing at the back of a near empty Kop!) bouncing and in full voice.



I am only in my early 40’s, so I’ve missed almost 110 years of Wrexham’s 150 but still have a lengthy list of amazing memories. It will be great to see the legends - not Rockin Robin or Wrex the Dragon (although they are great too) – but those ex-players who gave their heart and soul for the club. My first favourite player was Dixie McNeil and I have enjoyed watching many others since - scoring great goals, making fabulous tackles and flying across the goal making match winning saves!


There is no other team like Wrexham AFC, there is no other football ground like the Racecourse Ground - it’s all just really special! Happy Anniversary Wrexham AFC and here’s to another 150!

No comments:

Post a Comment